Mr Spencer Lewis - "Children are the Future"



Spencer Lewis is currently serving as Head Teacher of Yavneh College in London and Executive Head Teacher of the Yavneh Schools overseeing the development of Yavneh Primary School.

Spencer gained a BA at Jews College London and MA in Rabbinic Literature from the University of London. He has a Post Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership from the University of Hull and the National Professional Qualification for Headship from the NCSL.

 

1. Which person book or event transformed your ideas, thinking, or perspective? What changed?

I spent every Sunday afternoon for a year, studying with Professor Nechama Leibowitz. She was an inspiration and remains so today.

In terms of books, books about leadership have greatly inspired me professionally including a book by Mike Brearley, ex England Cricket captain and psychotherapist where he talks about how understanding people and their differing individual needs and quirks makes you a better leader.

Chaim Potok's books are always inspirational especially In The Beginning which really made me think when I was a student.

 

2. How do you handle failure?

This is a great question because for me failure is so relative because I don't spend too much time planning. Failing to be appointed to my first Headship taught me about what is needed to lead a school and prepared me for when I finally got the job.

 

3. What Jewish message does the world need to hear?

Educate your children through showing them the way.

Get to know your children and give them what they need.

Stay calm......this too shall pass.

 

4. What is one way that you spoil yourself a little?

Chopped liver!

 

5. In the last 5-10 years, how has your life changed for the better?

I am 53 years old and became a father 7 years ago, TG. So my new habits of talking to my daughter about her day and discussing the parasha with her each Shabbat have certainly improved my life.

 

 

6. What is the most important message to give your students when they complete High School?

Be yourself and have no regrets. Do what you can to effect the world for the better and be kind.

Ignore those who say that success is anything other than fulfilling your potential.

 

7. What are bad recommendations you hear in your profession?

In teaching people say that you should never smile at a new class, show them you are serious. This has always annoyed me, just be yourself and be very prepared.

 

8. How do you get back on track if you have had an unproductive or distracted period?

If I feel unfocused I take a break. If I am at school, I go to visit the classrooms and talk to children. We have children from 4-18 years and the variety, enthusiasm, humour and keenness of young people helps me realise what I am doing.

 

9. In your opinion, what is the most important Jewish value?

The values espoused by Shmirat Shabbat have always spoken to me. Finding time to think and learn, to talk and value each other's' company and to recognise that Hashem is the ultimate decision maker and time keeper.


10. One tip for Corona times. 

Be kind to yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rav Alex Israel - "Life is complex but it's ordinary things that make the difference"

Yael Unterman - bringing the Torah alive

Rabbanit Michelle Cohen Farber